alcohol application for sticking hammers

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 03:41:38 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alpha88x@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 9:18 AM
  Subject: alcohol application for sticking hammers=20

  greetings,

                 I have a Chickering shortened action which had =
tremendously sluggish hammers. I gave it one treatment of 70% alcohol =
and 30% H2O with a hypo syringe. It helped. I repeated the treatment the =
second time and yeilded an even better result. The question is if one is =
good and two is better, should I give it a 3rd pass? OR can a third =
treatment be too much or harmful?

  Thanks,
  Julia Gottchall,
  Reading PA=20

      It is possible to shrink the center pin bushings too much.  I used =
straight water once, in my early days, following the directions in some =
book on piano servicing.   It was a very sluggish action, but 100% water =
 worked too well and I ended up having to do a lot of re-pinning. =20
  --David Nereson, RPT