alcohol application for sticking hammers

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 22:05:13 +0100

Julie,

95%distilled water - 5% alcohol is the recipe given by Renner for low
friction pinning as hammers.
(more water : more effect)

70% alcohol 30%water is the recipe to treat more firm pinning, as wippens,
vertical damper lever...

 I add a VERY little pure soap, for a better wetting probably, never notice
if that changes something.

I have used almost pure methanol with 5 or 10 % water, and it work but a
very  little, so I was not so surprised to see as high water concentration
recipes.

If the fiber have been treated with some oily product the treatment should
not work very well.

As Terry said, wait well for the parts to dry (more than overnight ,
depending of the season).
The cloth employed for the centerpins is said to be pure wool (vs. key
bushing cloth that was cotton or silk mixed, and is now nylon mixed 5% for
the Japanese quality) .

The process is mechanic, it compress the fiber and allow a better fit when
dry, if the center pins are oxyded or corroded, this will not be a long term
treatment.

The cloth may be firm and not soft that is the main reason against oily
products , inconsistency (as problems when trying to glue new bushing cloth.

Hope that helps.

Isaac OLEG