New to Tuning-Book Recommendations?

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 20:29:56 +0100

Hi Brett,

I've find the pure fifths tuning not adapted at every piano, and
nowadays a little too static despite the fast rolling of thirds and
aggressive tenths.

The basic trick to realize if you follow the probably same method
developed by Serge Cordier, is to use not pure 3:2  fifths but pure
6:4.
That mean the test for purity is not the equal beating of the Major
sixth and the tenth based on the same bass note, but the equal beating
of the contiguous minor third and the major third within the fifth.
(that makes a slight difference, may be not very perceptible but the
interval "locks "well at this level.

Then when the minor chord (for inst C-E-G, having those two intervals
beating the same , have a particular tone easy to be used to check.
Nowadays in this system, the treble tend to get aggressive too much to
my ears, and most of the "pure fifth" tuners are obliged to recon
ciliate it, tuning short octaves and breaking the tenth progression in
the 6-7 octave (for what I've seen).

The method described to expand the temperament is based on a smooth
progression of 17 ths, it is difficult to do for a beginner. As others
have said try to learn a more basic way before (while I've seen
beginners learning pure fifth tuning with acceptable results also, as
the tuning is done "in the tone" and not trying to meet a theory when
it comes to beats.

The 12th tuning method seem to give a good tone projection in concert
halls, many concert tuners stretches as hell, the importance being to
be consistent any good method for that is good.

I believe that what is aimed is a permanent state of tension in the
whole tuning, the ear get exited by the stretch, and it carry better
also.

Nowadays in passages where the piano may sing strong stretch is not
always welcome, particularly in the treble.

Most pianists can't really express their preferences in term of
stretch or temperament.

Among the 80' concert tuners there in Paris where little differences
in temperament and stretch, all only due to their hearing and as a
result of the method employed. these differences where only noticeable
for a tuner indeed.

 The Cordier tuning (or Mason for your part of the world) have its
adepts among musicians

In the end, the ability of the tuner to hear the sound returned by the
hall and to install a justness that is also allowing the piano to be
in tune with itself is what counts IMO (in terms of stretch).
Coherence in the temperament system employed is also what counts, as
well some tuners have really uneven "equal temperaments" because they
stretch more than usual, but end with a pleasing tuning as well.

What bothers me a little with stretches that are higher than what the
piano can accept is that they tend to break the spectra continuity
above some point. Then I don't know what happens to the hearing of the
audience, but I believe that the instrument is less in value than with
a more holistic tuning.

What we are after is not justness anyway, only the impression of it !

Being 48 I have yet some time to change my mind !

Greetings to all , have a nice Sunday.

Isaac OLEG