New to Tuning-Book Recommendations?

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sun, 25 Jan 2004 23:54:14 +0100

Hi Bernhard,

I am actually getting found of the pure twelwe approach these days, I
like , on little pianos, the slower beating thirds at the break that
give us a lot of reserve when it comes to the low basses stretch, and
also how the high treble 17th stay quiet '(on the few pianos I
produced) while being yet stretched enough.

However I have no "bearing plan" (method to produce the temperament)
and I use a slightly larger octave than usual to get up to the 3:1
relation when there.
Are you using a sequence that is based on a pure twelve to begin with
? I remember you had a text on your web site, but I did not see it in
English.
If available I d like to receive it.

In "standard" tuning, we arrive at the pure twelve around octave 5-6,
but after that  I seem to recall that the twelve get shorter. In the
bass, the opposite, as we can have larger than pure twelve's (and
fifths as well).
So tempering those on a larger scale is interesting.

I tend to believe that tuning "in the spectra" of the piano focus more
on lower partials, but the result is good only with good pianos
(warmer tone).
So a lot of effort have to be made to get warmer unisons. Having a
tuning method that gives some air is then a good way to add something
to the piano.

On the other hand I find really bland the fifth based tunings, and I
also often see that more compromising than allowed by the method is
used to keep clean treble and basses.

Friendly wishes, I'm back at that tomorrow!

Isaac