New to Tuning-Book Recommendations?

Bernhard Stopper b98tu@t-online.de
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:55:39 +0100

Hello Isaac,

here a  receipt for the 12th temperament (aural tuning).

1.  F21 to Tuning Fork (440Hz) ~4,2 beats (absoulute beatrate is not
important at this moment) so take ~ 4

2. Match beatrate A49 to F21 to the same beatrate as heard in the 1. step

3. F21 to D30 (sixth) with the same beatrate.
This will result the 3. harmonic of this D30 to the same pitch as the A49 =
440 Hz, the 12th is set now.

4. Tune a minor 3rd D30 -F33 beatrate 7,8 (absolute beatrate not important
at this moment)

5. Tune a Fifth D30 - A37, with the control of major 3rd F33 - A37 at
beatrate 7,1 (since the exact beatrates of the minor/major 3rd cannot be
counted exactly (and of course they are slightly different on different
instruments due to inharmonicity), tune the major third slightly less faster
than the minor 3rd, this will make sure that the Octave A37-A49 is set by
this procedure in the room of a perfect 3/1 12th with the desired stretch of
about 1,2 cent and the fifth ~ 1,2 cent smaller.

Continue your octave partition as you are used to do. (minor 3rds, major
3rds, major 6ths progressing, 5ths controlling by minor 3rd-major 3rd where
the major is always slightly less faster than the minor 3rd)

For tuning down the bass i use control of minor 3rd / major 6th with the
minor 3rd about 10 % less beatrate than the major 6th. (for example minor
3rd D30-F33 beatrate 7,8 with major 6th D30-B39 beatrate 7,0) Since the
tuning is straight linear to the 3/1 ratio, i am used to hear the minor 3rd
down until to the last note, there are no regions where intervals change
their relations.

For tuning  up the treble is take the usual 4ths/5ths and check with the
match of  major 6th - (double octave + maj. 3rd) as used to set the 12th at
the beginning. For the last octave i use a 12th gripping device because
beatrates are too fast to hear with the sixths and double-octave-3rd.

As said, i tune the whole piano straight with pure 12ths, and with the use
of major/minor 3rds and 6ths it is much more easier for me to produce an
exact temperament, so I never check the octaves....
Since most tuners are using a slightly strectched octave, this tuning is not
so far from what everybody is doing right now. It just helps to set the
stretch sytematically und to reproduce a straight ratio through the whole
piano.

If you want to set the base 12th with a tuning device, tune A49 with the
device, and at second step tune the 3rd harmonic of D30 to the same pitch as
your A49. Proceed with machine or aurally.

Hope this is helpful

Best regards

Bernhard Stopper
www.piano-stopper.de/homepe.htm