Where did the RH Go

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 23:15:17 -0500

Hi Bill,

My guess is that the humidity escaped via two routes.  Most immediately, it
probably dissipated to the rest of the house, where the RH was undoubtedly
lower.  This process would be very rapid with forced air ventillation and
slower with baseboard heat and open doorways.  Second, humidity is lost not
so much through solid materials (e.g. gypsum board, bricks, etc.), but
through air gaps in those materials.  An old house is bound to be very
leaky, so the inside air would exchange rather rapidly with the outside air
(requiring lots of work from the furnace, BTW).  As the humid inside air
escapes, the dry outside air enters.  When the dry air is heated, it falls
from, say, 70% RH to, say, 22% RH.  This very dry air from throughout *most*
of the house would freely exchange with the 34% RH air in the music room,
quickly dragging the room RH down to the household average -- 22% RH.

FAIW, I run two humidifiers in my home (in Ohio) to maintain the RH around
38%.  (Any higher, and I start to get condensation.)  One humidifier is in
the same room, at some distance.  The other is in an opposite room.  When my
humidifiers cycle off, the RH doesn't plummet and is relatively stable for a
fairly long period of time.  Sometimes the humidifiers will run out of water
a few hours before I can get to them, but the lower range of the RH beneath
my soundboard (stored in memory on my hygrometer) doesn't drop more than,
say, 1-2% when that happens.  The differences are that my house is tight and
that I humidify larger areas of my home.

A DC humidifier beneath my soundboard is quite unneccessary.  Besides that,
I question whether a teensy weensy column of steam can evenly distribute
over the underside of a grand piano.  (I have no question that it works well
in an upright.)  In contrast, whole-room/house humidification is fairly
stable and consistent if done well.

Peace,
Sarah