univ. bass strings

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 01:26:39 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "pianolover 88" <pianolover88@hotmail.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 8:13 PM
Subject: univ. bass strings

> I'm replacing two single bass strings in a spinet. I plan to use
Universals
> and I'm wondering which of the Schaff partial sets would be the right
> choice. Number 2019, pg. 78 looks like a good choice, but then again,
number
> 2006 strings are the heaviest. I am assuming the #2019, which has more
> strings already contains these heaviest strings?
>
> I would appreciate any recommendations. Again this is for a SPINET and the
> strings to be replaced are two single bass, immediately before the first
> bi-chords.
>
> Terry Peterson

Everybody recommended against universals and for duplication, which I
understand, but sometimes, dang it, ya gotta put something on there right
now just to get yourself out of the house.  And for that reason I carry
universals in the car, especially for schools and gospel churches that are
just gonna break some more strings next week or month.
    As I understand it,
    2019 is for spinets, consoles, and smaller uprights and grands
    2006 is just for the lowest ten or so strings on the above pianos

    2037 is for larger grands, maybe some tall uprights
    2010 is for the lowest ten or so strings the larger pianos

    You can't determine which length of piano the string is meant for by the
length of wrap listed in the catalog (except to make sure it's not too
short), since some of it will be unwound, either at one or both ends.
Measure the old strings with a micrometer and use the closest one.  If you
tighten the wrap at the ends to prevent buzzing, usually they work fine, and
in my opinion, are satisfactory for most spinets, old uprights, and the
cheaper consoles and small grands.   But yes, having the string duplicated
is better.
    --David Nereson, RPT