jack in the mortise

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:26:21 +0100

daniel carlton wrote:

> i have a question regarding centering the jack in the mortise (using a
> hammer tap on the head of the jack).  do the jacks need to be
> positioned in the exact center of the mortise or can they
> get away with being off-center?

The better they are, the better they are... that said, of most import
here is to keep them away from the sides of the window. That will mess
things up far to much.

> another question.  it seems that bending the center pins like this
> sometimes causes resistance toward the end of the jack's travel.

My own preference for this condition is to heat twist the lower arm of
the whippen so that the jack is in the center of the window. Takes a bit
more time tho.

>  this
> concerns me because it seems that it can affect the regulation and
> feel.  is this just my imagination.  is it any big deal?
> any info and advice is greatly appreciated.
>
> thanks
>
> daniel carlton

Cheers
RicB