jack in the mortise

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:40:03 +0100

> Dave Nereson wrote:
>

>           I don't know how one goes about straightening those
>      posts -- pull 'em off and re-glue 'em?   --heat 'em up with
>      a heat gun and try to twist them?  They're pretty thick -- I
>      haven't tried straightening them as I don't know an
>      effective method for doing so.
>          Anybody else?
>          --David Nereson, RPT

Hi Dave. You can use heat to do the job, and you dont neccessilly want
to straighten the post. I find most often twisting the lower arm of the
whippen does the trick, and its easier (for me) to do. Tho you want to
make sure you dont radically affect the whippen cushions position over
the capstan :)

You also want to check to see that the top of the jack is on the same
plane as the top of the rep lever. If not, then perhaps pulling the post
off and regluing is a better solution.

RicB