training for retirement

Richard Strang rstrang@pa.inter.net
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:08:04 -0500

Hi, Kurt,
   My name is Richard Strang and I am and American living in the Republic of
Panama. I lost my job with a U.S. contractor when the treaties went into
effect a little over 4 years ago, and I have not worked a steady job since.
I prepared for my early retirement, so I have an income, though I'm only 57
and too  young to collect S.S.
   It's a shock to not HAVE to do anything. One can almost feel quilty about
not going to work and producing. I went through a long period of stress,
even though I was financially prepared. Well, the stress is pretty much over
now.
   You mention meaningless work such as hobbies. It's not meaningless if you
like it. You don't HAVE to do anything you don't want now, so enjoy
yourselve. It's okay to do it.
   My hobby is radio controlled model aircraft. I fly most thursdays with a
retired group, and most Sundays with a regular group. The hobby is
stimulating and the social aspect is great. I love it.
   I also enjoy surfing the Internet. I may spend 3 or 4 hours a day playing
on the computer. I like it, so I do it.
   I am also a piano technician, though I don't have enough work to even
begin to call it a full time job. I might tune/repair 4 or 5 pianos a month.
I enjoy that too, but I don't want to get too busy.
   I think the most important thing about retirement is trying not to be
bored, so when ever I get bored, I do something; play the piano, start
fixing that crashed model, run down to the mall to watch the girls go by,
run out to the Causeway and take a walk.
   How great it is, not having to answer to anyone. I am my own boss now,
and I love it. I hope you will love it too.

Richard