training for retirement

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:19:43 -0600

Kurt,

First, there's quite a bit of difference in not "having" to work and not
"wanting" to work. I enjoy what I do, so I'll probably continue to do it
for as long as I am able to do it WELL! If I ever get to the point where
I can't and don't realize it, I hope a good customer will have the guts
to tell me!

I don't know if this will mean anything or not but I'm now 64 years old and
will be retiring (from a university) in a few years. As long as I'm physically
able, I'll continue to service some good customers I've built up over the
years but I won't actively recruit new business. I "hope" I don't have to. :-)

Thankfully, I'm now in a position where I can sort of pick and choose what
pianos I want to work on. I've done my time with the "beaters, etc." and
will refer them to someone who's trying to make a living being self-employed,
as I was for well over 20 yrs. (Made a good bit of money replacing "plastic"
elbows!) :-)

Anyway, there won't be a lot of time involved, plus I do some dealer work in
a city close to Houston, so I figure that will be all I'll want to do. But at
least it'll keep me active and I won't sit in a bar or something and
vegetate! :-)
And hopefully, I'll have a shop to do action work and maybe an occasional
restringing job. Try to keep a little money coming in besides the
retirement and
SS. :-)

Good luck.

Avery