Bandsaw Veneer Cutting

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 12:23:11 -0500

Terry,
         If your new Bandsaw doesn't do this you've messed up the settings=
=20
somehow. Since we both have the same unit except that you purchased yours a=
=20
little after mine and have the new and improved ceramic guides, I can say=20
that definitively as I have no problem cutting veneers of any thickness=20
repetitively. Once the veneers are cut you can use double sided tape to=20
stick them to a known flat board and run them through the planer for=20
cleaning up unless of course you prefer the drum sander which will do=20
approximately the same thing providing that the planer knives are sharp and=
=20
set properly.  Hope this helps.

Greg

At 07:24 AM 1/14/2004, you wrote:

>Dear Woodworking Shop Rats,
>
>I have an ever-present need to cut thin (usually thin, but any thickness)=
=20
>wooden veneers on my bandsaw. I don't have a technique for making=20
>uniform-thickness cuts that I find satisfactory. How do the more=20
>talented/experienced woodworkers do this? What I can envision is a fence=20
>that the saw operator can move along an incremental/indexed rail - a jig=20
>that is real accurate so that you could, for example, just lop off 1.5 mm=
=20
>thick veneers, one after the other, all the same thickness. But I know of=
=20
>no such jig. I'm sure there is some basic bandsaw technique I am missing,=
=20
>as I should think this has been a basic need for many woodworkers for at=20
>least since the bandsaw was invented.
>
>Thanks for any thoughts.
>
>Terry Farrell
>
>---