Where did the RH Go

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:01:11 -0500

What type of room humidifier are you using? How many watts does it use? =
I think the H2 humidistats are rated up to 600 watts. I have ran a Sears =
basement-type dehumidifier off a humidistat in the past. That would =
solve your troubles for when you travel.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Andrew & Rebeca Anderson=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 10:34 AM
  Subject: Re: Where did the RH Go

  My wife and I regulate humidity (in winter) through the whole house =
with two humidifiers and a gauge on a bookshelf by the piano.  This =
requires some attentiveness, and is affected by outdoor weather.  The =
problem comes when we travel.  We were away over the holidays for two =
weeks and when we returned the humidity was in the high single digits.  =
The piano sounded horrible.  We got humidity up in a few days and in two =
weeks I retuned.  We have developed a rather low-tolerance for =
out-of-tune. =20
  The issue is practicality.  Most customers will not go through the =
trouble of monitering RH and refilling, turning on/off their humidifiers =
on a daily basis.  Once a piano is up to humidity, the DC will usually =
last a week often more, it only has a small environment to keep-up.  The =
humidity migrates through the wood, even in a grand piano pin torque is =
affected (closed lids do help in extreme environments).  Buying a room =
humidifier that has a remote-control humidistat will cost more than a DC =
system, although it would benefit all the wooden furniture too.  I have =
discussed this with clients and some have chosen to get a cheap =
hardware-store hygrometer and start running a room humidifier.  They =
last about halfway to the next tuning and then want a DC system or =
believe they can tolerate the effects on the piano.

  Andrew Anderson
  Las Cruces, NM