Where did the RH Go

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 06:41:51 -0500

Comments interspersed below:

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Sarah Fox=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 9:19 PM
  Subject: Re: Where did the RH Go

  Hi Terry,

  I understand DC's contacts are rated at 15A (about 1600+ W), so 35W is =
hardly a significant load.  However, I'd be concerned about a running a =
dehumidifier straight off of such a humidistat.  I bet the average =
electrical load for a dehumidifier is 500W running, which would =
correspond to about 1500W at startup -- perhaps enough to fry the =
contacts.  Dunno.... Check the ratings!

  The rating on my old dehumidifier was 600 watts. I don't know much =
about electricity. The startup thing may well be of concern. Mine worked =
fine for about a year, but perhaps I was lucky. Maybe some other =
humidistat would work better.

  The prospect of running a room humidifier from an under-piano =
humidistat is appealing.  I would be cautious not to run it opposite the =
dehumidifier bars, though.  A situation would arise in which both the =
temperature and humidity would rise in an inverse-compensatory fashion.  =

  If I were to install a DC-type system on a piano, I would put the =
humidistat under the piano. If I were to run a room dehumidifier or room =
humidifier off some type of humidistat, the humidistat would be placed =
somewhere in the room where it would get a good representative flow of =
room air to it - it would NOT be located in/under a piano!

  At the same time, the room would get quite nice and steamy.  ;-)  I =
would think it best to switch seasonally between humidification and =
dehumidification modes, disabling one side or the other.  Of course I =
think running heater bars opposite buckets in a full DC installation is =
a bit silly as well.  If the piano owner is capable of such technical =
matters, it would be better to have him/her buy a cheap hygrometer and =
switch the system back and forth (or plug/unplug) according to =
humidification/dehumidification needs.

  In the end, I think the most trouble-free, no-brains system is the one =
I have.  The heater system under the piano takes care of the =
microcontrol with its own humidistat.  I leave it on constantly, =
throughout the year.  Then as ambient humidity drops below 45%, I run a =
humidifier on its own humidistat (not under the piano), so as to =
maintain the ambient humidity at 45% (the upper end of the under-piano =
system's operating cycle), or as high a humidity as won't create a =
problem with regard to window/wall condensation (currently 38 or 39%).  =
DC buckets may be an attractive option in extreme climates where the =
outside temperature gets so brutally low that the interior RH can't be =
maintained at a high enough level without condensation.  The climate =
here in Ohio may be borderline, as 38 or 39% seems to be my limit right =
now.

  I think you are likely right. Install an appropriate DC system on the =
piano, and cut down on the room RH extremes with room =
humidification/dehumidification. I would be curious to witness the =
effectiveness of a complete DC system installation with back covers and =
the whole shebang in an extreme environment.

  I haven't tried this yet, but in the spring I will be running a =
dehumidifier downstairs on a timer (night-time running only, for =
considerations of noise), so as to drag the household humidity a bit =
lower.  I'm convinced the materials of the house hold considerable =
moisture and therefore serve as an intermediate-term humidity buffer.  =
This would explain why it took so long for me to dehumidify a wet cargo =
trailer -- and why the RH would shoot up within minutes of my shutting =
off the dehumidifier until I finally got all the excess moisture out of =
it.  The entire process took a few days.  It was utterly amazing how =
much water that wood cold hold!

  Absolutely! Once in a while, even when it is high RH outside, like =
when I might be spraying lacquer in my shop, I will open windows and =
turn on my exhaust fan. The RH will shoot up to near whatever it is =
outside - let's say 80%. I haven't timed it, but within an hour or two =
after closing the windows, the shop RH will be right back down to 45% or =
so - very quickly. I don't know how much wood I have in my shop, but I'm =
quite sure at least several thousand. At 8% MC, those 3,000 lbs. of wood =
would contain 240 lbs. of water, or about 30 gallons. About every 7% or =
8% change in shop RH, will, over enough time, cause about a 1% change in =
EMC in the wood, or will add or remove 24 lbs. of water, or about 3 =
gallons of water.

  Now, it's too early in the morning for me to calculate the volume of =
water in my 7,000 cubic-foot shop. But if anyone wants to, calculate the =
volume of water in the shop at let's say 45% RH (70 degrees), and then =
calculate the change in water volume in the shop air with a rise to 75% =
RH (or whatever). Then you can easily see how easy it would be for the =
wood to absorb/desorb this volume of water. I suspect the numbers would =
make it quite clear that the wood in the shop (or the carpet and =
furniture and walls, etc. in a home) will serve as a pretty effective =
buffer.

  And I guess one would want to consider the rate at which the wood will =
absorb/desorb water........... (yawn.....)

  Terry Farrell

  Peace,
  Sarah

  ----- Original Message -----=20