Nomenclature? - was brass flange parts supplier?

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 08:03:07 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Piannaman@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 12:11 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Nomenclature? - was brass flange parts supplier?

In a message dated 1/14/04 3:42:42 PM Pacific Standard Time,
joegarrett@earthlink.net writes:

Are we talking about a Brass Rail? Or, are we talking about Billings
Flanges? I suspect the later, as it's impossible to "move some from the
extremes, to replace the broken ones", with a brass rail. Clarification
would be nice.

Joe,

They are not Billings Flanges.  It is a brass rail set-up, but there are
little removable tongues that have a groove for the pin that come off.
I do not have one in front of me, and the ability to describe it eludes
my aging brain.  What happens is the hammer pin drops down between the
tongue, which is removable, and the rail.  The tongue has a flat side
with a slot for the pin, and a round back where the screw goes through.
Can't remember for certain which side the screw goes through, but I
think they come in from the back of the rail.

I have seen brass flanges many times, but not one like these.  Time to
get a digital camera.

Thanks,

Dave

            Dave,

            It sounds like you are describing a butt plate-the part that
usually fails and the most common available. In all respect ---and I
admit this is my pet peeve---

            Correct nomenclature would be very helpful. For example
hammers do not have pins. Hammer butt flanges have center pins. I think
we all knew what you meant, but the incorrect nomenclature can create
much confusion. Good luck,

            Tom Driscoll PRT