Quickie Pitch Raise

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:00:31

Hi Terry,

You might want to investigate "deaf or blind tuning" in the archives. The
trick is to use it on the "last string" that you tune in any unison.
Because I feel that almost all tunings are pitch corrections (anything over
4 cents) I nearly constantly use the pitch overcompensation feature of
Reyburn Cyber Tuner.

75 minutes does not make you a slow tuner, sorry to disappoint you there!
*grin*

I believe that for the method you are describing that stability will be
less than with more traditional practises. I don't have "hard data" but the
pianos were I have used "deaf" tuning for part of the initial tuning are
much wilder in those same areas when I return to service them the next
time. However I'm talking about changes of 100 plus cents, not the 16 that
you speak of.

At 08:45 PM 1/14/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>    the "quickie" pitch  raise.   &H (Aolean) console (junk) that was up to
>10 cents  flat.     cents sharp (bring the one  string up sharp enough for
>both strings), and the left string of the tricords up  maybe 15 or 16 cents
>(enough for all three strings plus enough for the overpull  thing). By
>doing that, the total tension on the system is up to A440. Therefore,  when
>I go to tune on the next pass, I am not making any overall pitch
>adjustments - I just set each string to target pitch without concerning
>myself  with overpull, etc. This way the pitch raise goes very fast because
>you only  adjust one string - instead of three.   I am not a fast tuner,
>but the little trashy console I did  this morning was between zero and 10
>cents flat. I tuned it at the proper pitch  (and I mean it was a real good
>tuning where all notes were right where I wanted  them) in 75 minutes.   I
>find that you don't really want to try this with a piano  that is more than
>10 cents off pitch in any area. But for the piano that is just  a tad flat
>or that just has one section that is a tad flat, this might be a  quick
>good thing to try.   Am I reinventing the wheel?   Terry Farrell

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd.