Cockeyed hammers / Don Gilmore

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 01:23:05 +0100

HelloGetting back at that old post, I noticed that Yamaha hammers that have
more wood on the tails side than many, seem to be better balanced and more
stable in time, we also feel something while playing like if the hammer
where thrower more naturally than on other kind with thinner keys.

Is it the percussion point that is involved (I still did not get it really)
or does it have to do with the actual center of gravity of the hammer/shank
system ?

Thanks in advance

Isaac OLEG

  -----Message d'origine-----
  De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la
part de Bernhard Stopper
  Envoyé : vendredi 19 décembre 2003 01:02
  À : Pianotech
  Objet : Re: Cockeyed hammers / Don Gilmore

  Don/Sarah,

  To design a hammer so that its pivot coincides with the center of
percussion is THE way to get a free sound and the maximum of energy transfer
to the string. it also allows the hammer to reject the fastest way possible
because oscillations in the pivot produce friction and slow down hammer
movement at contact point.
  i did several simulations with software called pro/mechanica and reshaped
hammers after results found. one could say that actual hammer with heavy
felts have their center of percussion much far away from the pivot than
lighter hammers have. putting a small lead in the tail of the hammer can
make them come closer to that point. center of hammer mass should ly on a
line along the center of the hammer shank and the center of percussion is at
distance x from pivot that can be calulated by the formula x=I/(m*y) with I=
moment of inertia, m=mass, y=distance to center of mass

  regards,

  Bernhard