S&S replacing Hammer Assemblies with new

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 18:39:45 +0100

And why not, but in this case we are talking about a Steinway made in=20
hamburg and that is a different instrument with different hammers.
I can not say anything about American made Steinways but I know they=20
are very different.

PS. the hammers made by Ray Negron are very much different from the=20
ones Steinway Hamburg uses. I know that because I personally asked Ray=20=

for samples.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek

Amsterdam -
The Netherlands

0031-20-6237357
0645-492389
0031-75-6226878
www.concertpianoservice.nl
www.grandpiano.nl

On 17-jan-04, at 18:21, Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:

> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Andre
> =A0=A0=A0I agree with the reasoning of what youre' saying but The =
Ronsen=20
> hammer on mahogony moldings can be tapered,arced & coved to be=20
> esentially the same weight as the original Steinway hammers.=A0I've =
done=20
> it many times & the sound is good.
> =A0=A0=A0 =A0In fact Ray Negron at Ronsen said recently that John =
Patton of=20
> Steinway said that Ray's hammers are as close to the originals as any=20=

> thing made today both in weight & density. Quite a compliment. I use=20=

> primarily his hammer that uses the felt he buys from Abel.
> =A0=A0 Regard--Dale
> Yes but the immediate problem you get is when you replace the original
> hammers as well, because in this case the weight of the hammers is =
very
> crucial.
> It means getting a new hammer that weighs exactly as much as the
> original.
> There is no hammer maker who produces exactly that hammer,so you have
> to modify a new set of hammers and you have to almost ruin that new =
set
> of hammers to get back to the original weight.
> I have seen many attempts to do so and they all looked ridiculous, the
> tails were still too long and in the end they were still too heavy
> anyway because the materials used nowadays are different and weigh =
more
> than the original hammers of which for instance the original felt was
> much less dense than VFG felt Abel uses.
> More lead in the keys will complete the usual and well known
> catastrophe.
>
> My 2 Euro cents
>
> Andr=E9 Oorebeek

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...