S&S replacing Hammer Assemblies with new

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:41:09 +0100

On 17-jan-04, at 19:25, A440A@aol.com wrote:

> Greetings,
>    I have some serious reservations about using pre-hung hammers for
> STeinways.  I have just finished installing a new action on a 1965
> model B and
> pre-hung hammers would have been a disaster.  Why?  Well,  the strike
> point for
> optimum tone on this piano varies by section, requiring a hanging
> distance of 3 mm
> shorter at the top break!  Had I just hung everything at 130 mm, this
> section
> would have been dead.
>    Maybe if a brand has control over their process, this sort of
> variability
> wouldn't be a factor, but these are  the hand-made "standard" of the
> piano
> world but they don't lend themselves to standard assemblies. G0 figure.
> Regards,
>
> Ed Foote RPT
> http://www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/index.html
> www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/well_tempered_piano.html

Exactly, and that is why I never sell pre-hung hammers from Steinway
but always follow the original hammer line or, in some cases, wait till
I am totally convinced of the strike point by trying it out before I
glue all the hammers.
Just because we sell complete hammer sets we always ask for either
sample hammers or very strict measurements of the original hammers.

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek

Amsterdam -