S&S replacing Hammer Assemblies with new

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:04:18 EST

In a message dated 1/17/2004 9:36:57 AM Pacific Standard Time,=20
antares@euronet.nl writes:
And why not, but in this case we are talking about a Steinway made in=20
hamburg and that is a different instrument with different hammers.
I can not say anything about American made Steinways but I know they=20
are very different.

PS. the hammers made by Ray Negron are very much different from the=20
ones Steinway Hamburg uses. I know that because I personally asked Ray=20
for samples.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek

Amsterdam -
The Netherlands
       Andre
   There was no mention of the 1913 S&S being a hamburg in M .Gambles=20
original post so being American I'm thinking this is a New York. In any case=
 were=20
still saying similar things & weighing & measuring no 1 hammers is an excell=
ent=20
clue to original weights & No the Ronsen is not at all like a Renner but I=20
can't imagine that these hammers are unworkable on a Hamburg. Although I onl=
y see=20
the occsasional one I have installed Ronsen hammers in a 1915 ish O & the=20
results were very good. The difference between voicing approaches as I see i=
t is=20
that in the U.S. many of us prefer the sound of a softer hammer juiced up &=20
from many post European techs prefer to start with a denser hammer & needle.=
=20
These are the obvious voicing styles/prefrences of the 2 different factories=
.=20
Personally I like both sounds but dislike the intense amount of needle work=20
required on some sets of Renner hammers (available to us) and the resultant=20
brittleish sound. I am aware that the version you have is different but for=20=
us its=20
only available thru Stwy New York for $800.00 Yikes. So can we order from yo=
u for=20
less money?
   Regards ----Dale Erwin