tapered tuning pins

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 07:23:51 -0600

I'm even less "Mr. Experience" than Terry, but I'll second his remarks.  I would be very nervous about putting straight pins into tapered holes, because all of the grip will be at the bottom of the pin.  Think about how difficult it will be to set those pins where you want them.  Yesterday, for the first time, I "tapped" pins on a worn out spinet.  I mean, I've tapped in the occasional loose pin, but on this piano every pin I touched just let go and spun, so I tapped them all.  I have never had to deal with such a pronounced marshmallow zone.  Very frustrating.  I know the base of the pins will stay right where I left them, but the top of the pin and the string tension/pitch is anybody's guess.

Mike Spalding

----- Original Message -----
From: Farrell
To: Pianotech
Sent: 1/20/2004 5:12:47 AM
Subject: Re: tapered tuning pins

I am not Mr. experience, but that won't stop me from plaguing you with my thoughts!   ;-)

I would definitely recommend that you redrill the pin holes. The relationship between the bit size and pin size will vary depending on the type of block and the drilling methods. Do a search in the archives and you will find all sorts of suggestions for where to start. Start conservative (use a bit that might be on the small side) and drill. Try the 3/0 pins first. Start at A0, drill the hole and pound the pin. Test the feel before you go any further (and maybe, just in case you are way off in fit, try turning the pin after you pound it in half way - if it is too tight at that point, just turn the darn thing out and drill out the hole with a bigger bit). Adjust as necessary. You can patch up the first few with the 0.288 if need be, and you will likely have a good combination for fit within the first few pins. Remember to use good support underneath and mic the pins first.

Terry Farrell