square grand or is it clavichord?

Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:47:53 +0100

Ahhhh the clavichord.... probably THEE most under-rated and
underdeveloped music instrument idea of our time. The keys have this
little capstan like nail... thumbtackish like thing.... where the
capstan usually is.. more or less. When you press down the key this hits
the string and stays there until you let the key down. Makes a really
neat sound and double serves to determine the pitch of the note... sort
of like left hand hammering a guitar... but neater.

A square grand on the other hand is a piano family instrument..  hammers
that have an escape mechanism.

Clavichords are by and large also a bit smaller then square grands...tho
there are some pretty big clavichords.

If it was a Clavichord... it would be interesting to hear how you tuned
it :)

Cheers
RicB