square grand or is it clavichord?

William R. Brohinsky onlyocelot@joimail.com
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 12:38:37 -0500

Richard Brekne wrote:

> Ahhhh the clavichord.... probably THEE most under-rated and
> underdeveloped music instrument idea of our time. The keys have this
> little capstan like nail... thumbtackish like thing.... where the
> capstan usually is.. more or less. When you press down the key this
> hits the string and stays there until you let the key down. Makes a
> really neat sound and double serves to determine the pitch of the
> note... sort of like left hand hammering a guitar... but neater.

All the descriptions of the clavichord given so far have been
essentially correct, but none of them have been complete.

The clavichord is an old instrument, believed by Bach to be the epitome
of a composer's keyboard. It comes in two varieties, one in which a
single string was affected by a single key, and a more 'compact' system
in which each string served four-or-so consecutive keys. The latter form
is often referred to as a 'fretted clavichord', and obviously precludes
playing chords that involve intervals closer than a minor third. This
was no impediment to music in the earliest times, but with the onset of
the baroque became a liability. One might suspect that the fretted
clavichord would have died out, but apparently examples exist from
Bach's time. There is one change in the fretted clavichord that might
allow some dating: before 1600, the form that predominated had all
strings of the same weight and length. (It is believed that this form
evolved from the 'polychoridc monochord', which had strings tuned in
thirds and relied on the student's fingers to find proper intervals for
chords. The tangents represent a fixing of those positions, and
assigning to a mechanism which allows them to be independently
activated.) The more 'modern' version uses strings of differing weights
and lengths, and although it appeared before 1600, is mostly a post-17th
century instrument. The older form is largely called "monochord", even
when the term clavichord is applied to it, in the tretises of the times.

The action is as has been described: a balanced key with a vertical
metal tangent on one end, which is flattened at its upper end. They are
arranged so the flattened ends stand perpindicular to the string.
Depressing the key brings up the tangent, which strikes and remains in
contact with the string as long as the key remains depressed. The
pressure of the tangent on the string lifts the string slightly, as the
tangent supplies the second bridge. The keys could be pressed further
(what is considered 'aftertouch' on modern high-end synthesizers) to get
a vibrato effect on a per-note basis, but it is worth noting that
vibrato was considered an ornament as were trills and mordents and
backfalls and such: too much use of it was anathema. Use on every note
was clearly too much.

The case of the clavichord was shallow and of fairly light construction.
They were sometimes supplied with legs, but by no means would a
fully-outfitted clavichord be remotely considered to be a piano's
caseworks. The wrestplank is tight-fit into the case. The soundboard is
constrained on one side by the wrestplank, and the others by the box. It
may have more than one bridge on it, but all bridges on the soundboard
are effectively only one side of the vibrating length of the string.

There is only one effective part to a clavichord's actions: the
teetertotter of the key. When the key is pressed the note starts, when
it is released, the note is damped by felt cloth at the far end of the
strings from the bridges. The tuning of the instrument is effected both
by tuning the strings, and especially in the fretted version, bending of
the tangents! I have a faint memory (a luxury afforded to those of us
who have arrived at over-50 years of age) of one clavichord that I saw
in England, which for all I know was a very modern experiment: it had
rotatable tangents, with the fan-shaped spread top offset, so that you
could shift the pitch of a string fairly on-the-fly. It struck me at the
time as a bit farcical, and in retrospect, remains so. (If you don't
follow that line of thought, get a copy of Helmholz (Dover edition) and
read some of the lengths that musicians and theorists went to with
harmoniums and such to map out different scales and temperaments. I'd
assume that the rotating tangent idea was to support a 'quick change'
between meant tone and whole-temperament (well-temperament). And
frankly, the idea of turning all those little buggers during a concert,
between pieces, still doesn't appeal to me.)

The general idea behind a clavichord seems to always have been
portability, and pedagogy. As a development from the poly-monochord, it
was certainly a teaching tool back in the early 1400's. Bach taught his
20-odd sons theory and composition on it. I'd have to say that, for its
intended purposes it was as well developed as it could want. It did
allow tremendous 'repeatability', of the sort that even grand pianos
with their highly refined actions only dream of in their long dark
polished-ebony sleeps under heavy quilted pads... sorry, got off the
subject a bit there.

There is one major identifying and limiting feature of a clavichord:
they are quiet. So quiet, in fact, that the first tendency is to lay
your head on the strings. (At least mine was.) It was clearly a personal
instrument, for singular enjoyment. The harpsichord made lots of noise
by comparison, and was used for ensemble playing.

Square pianos are claimed by Sachs to have been a German development on
the Italian Pianoforte/Fortepiano. because the German household was used
to the square clavichord, which required far less space than the
wing-shaped italian instruments, the mechanism was turned sideways and
stuffed into a box. But a piano is quite different from a clavichord:
the string tension is much higher, since the strings are excited with
blows (not plucking like a harpsichord) and the action is more
complicated. Of course, early square pianos had no escapement at all:
the back of the key lofted a single-rotation-point hammer, stopped short
of pushing the hammer all the way to the strings, and caught the
pushing-point of the hammer when it returned. Since the combined art of
firing off the hammer and successfully catching and stopping its return
are hard to achieve in a single mechanism, escapements happened. But
there are no instances I know of (from the literature, not just my own
limited experiences) where the string is struck by a mechanism that is
solid from hammer to keyfront. So this is the first complete difference
between one key-one string clavichords and square pianos: multipart key
mechanisms and double-bridged strings.

The second is case weight. Square pianos are more stout to account for
the heavier weight of an action, as well as the higher string tensions.
They are not 'tuck it under your arm and run up to teach the king a
lesson in theory' instruments.

The third is trap/lyre mechanisms and dampers. The dampers for a
clavichord is the felt/cloth wrapping one side of the strings. Strings
that are double-bridged need 'real' dampers.

There is one more thing to note: almost all clavichords have lighter
accidentals than naturals. Almost all pianos, even square, tend to ivory
keys and black or dark-wood sharps.

The box is rectangular,

> If it was a Clavichord... it would be interesting to hear how you
> tuned it :)
>
> Cheers
> RicB

Boy, I'll say! Which temperament? Did you have to bend tangents?

> Alpha88x@aol.com wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>>             What is the difference between a square grand and a
>> clavichord?

raybro