Rebuiling uprights

Fri, 23 Jan 2004 06:19:37 -0600

At 07:00 1/23/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>I was just funnin' about the Mexico thing. I know he does the work in-house.
>
>I have do disagree with you regarding the sound potential of the old
>uprights. You suggested, "when properly rebuilt" that they have the
>potential to "give a lot better sound than most of the bottom of the line
>grands you can find on the market these days (Korean, Chinese etc.)." This
>is simply not true by matter of omission, IMHO. I believe they have the
>potential to give a way, way, superior sound than most of the bottom-level
>grands and mid-level smaller grands and upper-level micro-grands
>(five-foot-ish) you can find on the market these days.
>
>I'd lend you my flame suit, but I just may need it!
>
>Terry Farrell

Terry, Marcel,

I have the spring line of flamesuits in stock now ;-}

Anyhow, just by way of comparison, my 1890's 58.5" Nittinger (Phila)
upright has string length and scale comparable to a Baldwin "R", and a
bigger soundboard, too.  Does being heavier count, too?

Conrad Hoffsommer
Decorah, IA

- Certified Calibration Technician for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
Lever Action Tone Generation Systems.
- Pianotech Flamesuit Purveyor