Rebuilding uprights

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 09:16:36 -0800

  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Thomas Cole
  Sent: January 22, 2004 6:51 PM
  To: Pianotech
  Subject: Re: Rebuiling uprights

  Since many of these uprights have lost crown, I wonder if some of these
would be good candidates for Del's idea of painting the soundboard with
epoxy to restore stiffness.

  Tom Cole

--

   Like many jobs, rebuilding uprights is very time-consuming until you do a
few and work out some efficient procedures.

  We have now used the epoxy coating technique as described in the Journal
on a number of pianos with, so far, good results. That, along with routing
for and installing pinblock inserts (not plugs), makes upright rebuilding
considerably more practical.

  Del