Upright Hammer Butts

Richard Strang rstrang@pa.inter.net
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 12:20:01 -0500

The bobbling I experienced in my own piano was caused by insufficient key
dip. The hammers were bouncing off the jack because it hadn't gotten out of
the way. I regulated the action and left plenty of after touch.... end of
bobbling.

Richard
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Clark Sprague
  Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 10:38 AM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Upright Hammer Butts

  Hello, List!   I have been wondering if anyone has experience with
applying Teflon spray to upright hammer butts. or McLube?  I have a customer
that plays so lightly that the hammers are bubbling, and I tried a few
sample keys- giving more dip, changing the backchecks, moving the letoff,
etc.  None of the changes made her happy, and she claims that she doesn't
like the Click feel.  I usually apply powdered teflon to Grands, but I was
thinking that some spray would be certainly faster and easier.  I also know
that faster and easier is not always applicable.  Just wondering if anyone
does this, and their experience.
  Clark Sprague, RPT