Upright Hammer Butts

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 12:31:04 -0600

>Hi, Ron!  You are entirely correct.  I told her that, as well, but her
>teacher is teaching her to "caress"  the keys, she says!  She also says, how
>come my teacher's piano doesn't have this problem?  (Same kind and model).
>Clark

Sounds like the teacher needs lubricating. Caressing the keys is fine if it
works the mechanism, but mechanisms have minimal input requirements.
Perhaps I'm wrong here, but isn't part of playing being adaptable enough to
play on more than one piano? How old is the teacher's piano? How badly
worn? How badly out of regulation? How do the jack and damper spring
strengths compare between the two pianos?

Maybe the teacher would trade pianos with her, or you could trade her an
old worn out but thoroughly caressable spinet for her new piano. Worrying
excessively over action minutia for someone who knows what they are trying
to do and is capable of doing it is one thing, but this will likely go away
by itself as she learns something of what she's doing. This "problem" only
comes up with absolute beginners, and is typically self healing. At best,
they will understand my explanation of what is happening and accept my
advice to give it a while and meet the piano half way. If they will, the
problem shortly goes away. At worst, I've bent the letoff rail brackets
down, making letoff at around 15mm to make it nearly impossible for them to
screw up no matter how hard they try - and they sometimes try very hard.
Just takes a minute, severely compromises action function, and (so far)
universally pleases them. Next tuning, when they have gotten a few miles on
their technique and can more likely operate a piano action in working
condition, I bend the brackets back up a bit. Maybe half way, roughing
letoff in at around 6-8mm. At a year, I bend the brackets back to where
they originally were and touch up the letoff at where it belonged in the
first place, and originally was (usually). This works about as well as
anything I've tried without wasting hours of time trying to fix an action
that ain't broke or a pianist that is. I learned this from the medical
profession. Give them something to divert their attention until they heal
themselves. Take credit. Charge accordingly.

Ron N