Rebuiling uprights/ Have plenty for someone

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 19:51:39 -0600

Oddly enough, the one name on the list that raised my little eyebrow was
Steinway. Grands? Oh, yes. Uprights ... well, I've not been all that
impressed with the few I've seen. Others may feel differently.

I would definitely add another name though: Haines Brothers. I just
restrung and partially rebuilt (rehabbed? restored?? fixed up??) a 1911
beauty!

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Smith [mailto:dsmith941@comcast.net]
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 4:11 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Rebuiling uprights/ Have plenty for someone

Terry, my only issue with your list is that you forgot Wing & Sons.
Sturdy uprights from the turn of the century that were mail-ordered
across the USA.  Massive construction and HEAVY.  Come on down again and
play the one I have been working on!  Or just listen out of your window.
I just played C2 and you can probably hear it sustaining for a couple of
days or so.  :)

Dave Smith
Pine Island FL

Yes, I want all the high-end uprights you have. M&H, Knabe, A.B. Chase,
Mathushek, Bush & Lane, Chickering, Decker, George Steck, Henry F.
Miller, Heintzman (sp?), Ibach, Ivers & Ponds, Steinway, Weber, Wissner,
Bosendorfer, Bechstein. Hmmmm, have I forgot any?

---