Rebuiling uprights/ Have plenty for someone

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:11:01 EST

In a message dated 1/23/2004 5:52:23 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tune4u@earthlink.net writes:
Oddly enough, the one name on the list that raised my little eyebrow was
Steinway. Grands? Oh, yes. Uprights ... well, I've not been all that impressed
with the few I've seen. Others may feel differently.

I would definitely add another name though: Haines Brothers. I just restrung
and partially rebuilt (rehabbed? restored?? fixed up??) a 1911 beauty!

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO
    Alan
  Steinway uprights are are different breed & some of the best made. Some of
the 1890s Monsters actually had a laminated soundboard liner similar to the
grands. It was  neatly encased in the cabinet and sourounde the entire board.
Huge cutoff bar. I like the feel of the action. Without the vertigree of course.
    I sold one for 10 K  about  6 years ago. Black with beautiful case & cut
out inset panels. The piano has no cracks and very nice crown. Not bad for an
antique. Oh did I mention it sounds great.
   The haines bros was a good piano. Rebuilt some of those too.

Dale Erwin
Erwins Piano Restorations
4721 Parker Rd, Modesto, Ca. 95357
erwinspiano@aol.com