Rebuiling uprights/ Have plenty for someone

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 06:02:57 -0500

Hi Dale,

I own a 189? Steinway upright that has the inner bent/laminated rim that =
you speak of. It is awaiting a complete remanufacture. The other upright =
I have seen with this type of a rim is the Bush & Lane - quite the =
monstrous upright.

What is it about the original design/construction of some old Steinway =
uprights that some folks feel is less than premium?

Terry Farrell=20

Steinway uprights are are different breed & some of the best made. Some =
of the 1890s Monsters actually had a laminated soundboard liner similar =
to the grands. It was  neatly encased in the cabinet and sourounde the =
entire board. Huge cutoff bar. I like the feel of the action. Without =
the vertigree of course.
  Dale Erwin