leveling grand keys/heights

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Sun, 25 Jan 2004 12:06:33 EST

Greetings list,

                 I am doing my very first grand regulation. After carefully
measuring the felt punchings thickness, I ordered new ones and replaced both
front and balance rail felt punchings because they were shot. I also replaced
keytops. The new keytops were .03 thicker than the old ones. I knew from the
beginning I would have to compensate in the regulation for the new key heights,
and probably some of the residual miscellaneous felt height as well.

                 At the job site I put lead weights on the keys' backs and
levelled the white keys and then set the key dips on the whites as well. Then,
because I am green at this, I removed the the keyframe from it's bed and
replaced the stack, screwed it down and when I slid it back in, the keys were all
different heights(!) What went wrong? Are the keys supppose to do this. Are my
weights too heavy? Must I consider keyweight when leveling keys?

rookie,
Julia Gottchall,
Reading, PA