leveling grand keys/heights

Marcel Carey mcpiano@globetrotter.net
Sun, 25 Jan 2004 12:21:40 -0500

Just a hinch,
Maybe the hammer shanks are supported by the wippen rest felt? Check hammer
line to make sure all the shanks are above the felt by about 1/2 shank's
diameter for a start.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke , QC
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Alpha88x@aol.com
  Sent: 25 janvier, 2004 12:07
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: leveling grand keys/heights

  Greetings list,

                   I am doing my very first grand regulation. After
carefully measuring the felt punchings thickness, I ordered new ones and
replaced both front and balance rail felt punchings because they were shot.
I also replaced keytops. The new keytops were .03 thicker than the old ones.
I knew from the beginning I would have to compensate in the regulation for
the new key heights, and probably some of the residual miscellaneous felt
height as well.

                   At the job site I put lead weights on the keys' backs and
levelled the white keys and then set the key dips on the whites as well.
Then, because I am green at this, I removed the the keyframe from it's bed
and replaced the stack, screwed it down and when I slid it back in, the keys
were all different heights(!) What went wrong? Are the keys supppose to do
this. Are my weights too heavy? Must I consider keyweight when leveling
keys?

  rookie,
  Julia Gottchall,
  Reading, PA