leveling grand keys/heights

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:31:23 EST

In a message dated 1/25/2004 9:07:25 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Alpha88x@aol.com writes:
                 At the job site I put lead weights on the keys' backs and
levelled the white keys and then set the key dips on the whites as well. Then,
because I am green at this, I removed the the keyframe from it's bed and
replaced the stack, screwed it down and when I slid it back in, the keys were all
different heights(!) What went wrong? Are the keys supppose to do this. Are my
weights too heavy? Must I consider keyweight when leveling keys?

rookie,
Julia Gottchall,
Reading,
   Julia
     Ummm summmpin wrong here. If they're seriously unlevel in appearance
then my first best guess is that your hammer blow distance has not been set &
that the shanks are resting on the shank rest rail or felt which means your keys
are not being held down by the weight of the action parts. WHich means the key
& wippen has something similar to the loss motion you'd see in uprights. Is
this making some sense? Adjust the shanks/hammers so they at least move with
the capstan. Then weight will be holding the back of the key down as the lead
weights were while leveling. We use this procedure as well & this is where my
shop rookies get confused. You'll get there.
   Dale Erwin
Erwins Piano Restorations
4721 Parker Rd, Modesto, Ca. 95357
erwinspiano@aol.com