leveling grand keys/heights

MarinoPiano@aol.com MarinoPiano@aol.com
Sun, 25 Jan 2004 19:54:35 EST

You bring back memories.  As others have said,, you need to take up the lost
motion between the wippins and the keys to put the wippin and hammer weight on
the backs of them.   I don't know about the rest of the gang, but I don't do
dip until the letoff and drop have been done and their is proper tension on
the rep springs. Then I bring the dip up or down to achieve the proper amount of
it,(dip), and after touch. The dip is usually not shallow after a proper key
level on an older piano.

    As a short cut I do a quick preliminary check on rep spring tension
adjustment before I remove the stack.  If needed I add just some tension to prevent
the wippin from collapsing when I raise the hammer off the rail.  This lets
me do the hammer line only once.

Arthur Marino