loose tuning pins / CA glue

antares antares@euronet.nl
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:17:47 +0100

On 26-jan-04, at 20:47, Michael Gamble wrote:

> Hello Liszt and Joe & Penny
> This thread about tightening wrest pins using CA glue is a very=20
> interesting one. The problem is I have absolutely no idea what CA glue=20=

> is. Maybe in UK we have an equivalent. So... Could someone please=20
> describe this glue... What colour is it? ... what consistency? ...=20
> what smell does it have?... Is it water-based and therefore thinned=20
> with water before use?... how large are the containers it comes in?=20
> .... is it a resin glue? ... is it something like PVA woodworking=20
> glue? (which stuff can be thinned down with water in a bucket to=20
> "size" concrete before laying wood-block flooring..:-) Is it another=20=

> name for that terrible glue called "Cyano-Acrylate" as used in the=20
> plastics industry and can glue your fingers to your nose (or other=20
> parts of the anatomy). With the same initials this is my guess. It is=20=

> this very "thin" glue which=A0comes in quite small white plastic =
bottles=20
> with a dispensing nozzle=A0and has a limited "shelf-life".
> Question: =A0If you had an old (1895)=A0S&S model "B"=A085 note grand =
with=20
> replaced tapered legs and loose Bass tuning pins... would you be=20
> tempted to=A0go the CA route?
> I have just such a problem at the moment but I rather think I prefer=20=

> the replacement strings and pins option=A0on an S&S=A0of that age.
> Regards from the black cold Sussex Downlands
> Michael G (UK)=A0

I have said this before, but, reading your words, I again wonder about=20=

the following :
Why do we consider using a CA glue treatment, when tuning pin problems=20=

actually must be solved with an over size tuning pin and new strings?
Is the use of new tuning pins and new strings such a problem?
Isn 't it better to tell your customer to pay for a complete=20
re-stringing?
If the customer refuses to pay for pins and strings, isn 't it then=20
better to politely, and in a friendly manner, tell your customer that a=20=

re-stringing is the final answer?
In my experience, new pins and strings are far more preferable, and=20
durable, and in my +30 years  I may have lost a customer here and there=20=

because of my professional principles, but I am 55 years old, still=20
making money, and I will probably do so until I fall down.
So why not go for the very best technical answer?

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek

Amsterdam -