loose tuning pins / CA glue

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:23:47 -0700

Mr. Oorebeek,
I'm curious.  I dealt with just such a problem in an old upright and I was=
=20
advised that larger tuning pins might exacerbate the problem by increasing=
=20
the leverage the string has on the pin.  In this case CA glue was=20
acceptable for an old upright that the customer could just afford.  I am=20
curious if anyone has comments regarding stability problems after using=20
larger diameter pins.

Curious in New Mexico,
Andrew

BTW, if you use CA glue, use a respirator (canister type ) not a dust mask=
=20
and ventilate the area well (just because it doesn't have a disagreeable=20
odor doesn't mean it isn't nasty).  Also it is nasty to use, apply with a=20
syringe (farm supply for livestalk use works) and keep plenty of paper=20
towels by for cleanup.  Prevent runs with tape and paper.