new topic: Broken Strings (was key cover blues)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:59:19 -0500

Good golly man, please don't quote out of context! The complete quote is =
below:

"I have never broken a string while doing a pitch raise. However, I have =
had strings break on occasion while doing a pitch raise. (Actually, I =
have broken one or two over time while doing something stupid - but I =
replaced those for free.)"

No luck involved. Purely skill.

I thought it was obvious, but let me explain: I was trying to =
differentiate between the technician making some sort of error in =
judgement or technique and having a string break, and the string simply =
not being able to remain intact at A440 tension. If the string is rusty =
or nicked or degraded in some other manner that causes it to not be able =
to remain intact at A440 tension - then if it breaks, it ain't my fault =
(not that one should just forge ahead and watch 220 strings break on a =
piano - that is why, every once in a while, I do tune a piano below =
A440). But if I do something dumb, like not letting tension down a touch =
first on a rusty string, or when I hear the sting "popping" through the =
agraffes, or maybe even absentmindedly putting my tuning lever on the =
wrong tuning pin and twisting the thing a half-turn before I realize the =
string attached to the pin I am wrenching on is muted (no, of course =
nobody has ever done that!) - and the string breaks - then I broke it =
and I should replace the string at no charge (and offer an apology and =
offer to stop by in a couple weeks to retune that new string).

May I suggest that if you are breaking strings at "...such frequency =
that I have developed my own pre-formed knot system..." you may want to =
reevaluate your pitch-raising techniques and criteria?

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20