Touchweight

Wed, 28 Jan 2004 00:13:19 +0100

Hi Folks.

Been mulling over a lot of whats been written and looking back at
Stephen Birkets article and it struck me that we could use these cute
new key inertia measuring jigs Mark and John have worked out to do
exactly what Birkets article suggests.

According to Birkkets paper there a few key expressions  based on the
following diagram.

The breakpoint acceleration is

and

  For the Breakpoint force we have.

Now   Fst is the exact force we need to exceed in order to get the key
moving. This is the same thing as  BW * g

So.. Fst = BW * g

then  Mrk = (BW * r) + mrb.

which means that the only unknown in any of these expressions is Ik
(which we can measure with our MOI jigs) since we can calculate Mrk
directly from BW, r, and mrb.

So what do we get if we measure and figure these expressions out. Jo !!
we get  2 points on the force for accelleration graph.. and using 9th
grade geometry we know that  (y-y1) = a(x- x1) is the solution for
finding a 1st degree equation  when two points are known.

What we get is Stephens (Fst, a)  ( Fbr, a1)

In other words....;

is the equvilant of

Or... since Fst = BW * g and Mrk = (BW * r) + mrb.

we have as our two points.. (x,y) (x1,y1)

All of which we can easily measure directly without having to rely on
knowing the MOI for the (already) leaded key. We only need Ik for a
reference (unleaded) key from which, together with a BW specification,
we can  decide which  combinations of  m and rb... ie key mass and its
radius from the balance rail pin, will yield desireable  points on the
acelleration for force graph.

As long as we can assume that lead evenly distributed about a certain
point will to a reasonable degree behave as the point mass used in
Birketts equation... we have basically a new equation of balance.... and
one that directly accounts for key MOI.

Mrk = (BW * r) + mrb

Yes ???

Cheers