Help with fmv

William R. Brohinsky onlyocelot@joimail.com
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:08:11 -0500

Heyla, list.

I admit tobeing new to piano tuning as a full-time endevor, and I
haven't built up the business I need yet to be able to afford everything
I need. By the end of the month, I expect to be able to acquire Pierce's.

I have a seller and a buyer lined up for a piano, but they want to know
fair market value. I lack the resources myself to tell them. Could
someone take pity on me and give me an idea what to tell them? The piano
is a Yamaha P22F in near-perfect condition.It was bought new by the
present owner. It has been properly cared for and lightly used since it
was bought in 1975. The serial number indicates that it was built for
the North American market. There are some light scratches in the finish
(nothing that goes to the wood), which I'm prepared to make go away.
There are two mildly wild strings, which didn't prevent tuning the
piano. The action is fine, and the pinblock is strong and stable. There
are no defects that I can point to.

I do intend to get a dampp chaser on it, which both parties are in
agreement about. It hadn't been tuned for 4 years, but spent that time
wrapped in blankets in a fairly temperature-stable room. Nothing in New
England can claim to be humidity stable without some pretty impressive
efforts (ask me about the calibration lab someday). But there is no sign
of moisture damage or drying-out.

What should be the selling price?

raybro