Recoating sharps

Charles E. Faulk cfaulk2@juno.com
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 18:32:16 -0600

Hi Randy,

I do a lot of these. First of all I can never understand why
manufacturers back then insisted on taking expensive gabon ebony or
grenadillo and coating them with black lacquer. A waste of beautiful
wood.

Just strip the old finish from the sharps. Sand them using 220 grit and
400 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper. Use a sanding block; it keeps the corners
nice and crisp. Then mix a little black aniline powder into some wipe-on
polyurethane. Stir it. Then apply about two coats to the wood. It works
fine, and you can see the wood grain through it.

Hope this helps.

Charles Faulk

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:16:30 -0800 "Randy Rush" <randyrush@earthlink.net>