Baldwin SD-10 Front Duplex

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 06:12:20 -0500

I tuned a 1975-ish Baldwin SD-10 last week - first one I have run =
across. It had a unique front duplex system in the top two treble =
sections. It was of silver-colored metal and was a one-piece contraption =
that incorporated the front speaking length string termination and the =
front duplex bar. It appeared with this gizmo, during manufacture, one =
could keep the front duplex at some fixed length and move the gizmo =
around to set the front speaking length string termination at some ideal =
location.=20

Is that what this thing was for? If not, what's the deal with the =
interesting-looking gizmo?

On the side, this was a piano that seems to be fundamentally in pretty =
good condition. I think with A LOT of refurbishing, it could be brought =
back to 90+% of its potential. It is in a huge (as in mega $$$) church =
dining hall. It is totally bashed up. Drinks have been spilled all over =
it. Hammers are stained with coffee,wine, etc. Regulation is way off - =
obviously hasn't been serviced properly in decades. I, as well as all =
you folks out there, have seen this before. But why, why, why? Is there =
any other $100,000 hunk of man-made stuff that any institution would buy =
and then not take care of at some fundamental level? About the only =
apparent treatment I can imagine worse would have been if they had =
stored it outside under a sprawling oak tree for a few Florida summers. =
I don't imagine they treat their altar gold pieces like that (wait a =
minute - this was a Baptist church - do the Baptists do the gold thing =
like the Catholics?). They certainly don't treat their $100,000 sound =
mixing board like that (or do they?). What about the $200,000 Rogers =
organ? Is this unique to pianos?

Terry Farrell