Of Belly Rails & Damper Systems

Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:11:15 +0100

Farrell wrote:

> Is there any fundamental reason an over-damper system would be
> inferior to what we currently see on the modern grand? As I imagine
> it, you could model an over-damper system from the square and even add
> an additional pivot where the damper head attaches to the arm/lever -
> that way the damper would always be self-adjusting every time it goes
> back down on the strings - I should think the potential exists for
> longer-lasting improved damping. And hey, one could even service the
> darn thing without crawling into the

The one I saw on that old Bosie I looked at last week worked great. Big
advantage in being able to simply lift the enitire damper system out of
the piano within seconds. Only thing left was the push pins up from the
keys. Regulating the system looked to be a snap as well... and I would
wager it would be much quicker and easier to get that beautiful perfect
half pedaling effect adjusted just right.

I'd be interested in hearing about know backsides to this system as well.

> action cavity.

Hopefully someone will help me think this thing through - sure didn't
get much sleep last night......  ;-)