Of Belly Rails & Damper Systems

Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:01:55 -0000

Hello Terry F
In your post re:the modern grand damper system: I wholeheartedly agree =
with the pain of having to extract the action and crawl into a dark =
cavity in order to adjust those wretched damper-lever wire-block =
grub-screws. (Wow! what a long-winded name for such a little thing!) =
There are all sorts of damper actions and grand actions out there - the =
results of manufacturers experiments - take the old Erard grand with its =
bi-furcated hammer shank. Through the slot in this shank a splined metal =
tongue protruded from the whippen (lever) to act as a check! I think it =
was also them who had the dampers and damper unit under the grand =
strings. Comes out completely as a unit - damper heads, action and all. =
I even tune a very old grand - almost a square grand - where the hammers =
hit the strings from above and so the damper unit is also above the =
strings - just as you are thinking of Terry. With the hammer action =
under the strings there will always have to be a connection to the =
dampers over the strings. The only thought I can produce is that there =
should be a further "pivotal lever" attached to the Whippen in order to =
reverse the action and push up the damper wire. The simplest damper =
action will, of course, be found in the Fortepiano.
Regards and deep thoughts about changing the piano world from Sunny =
Sussex in the Downlands.
Michael G (UK)