Vertical Damper Regulation

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 06:29:52 -0500

Did a full damper regulation on a little trashy 1985 Conn console =
yesterday (first time on an existing action - I've done it several times =
as part of an action rebuild - way easier when you are starting from =
scratch). I'm so proud of myself! I think it would be easier to design a =
new piano! It was a teacher's piano and she said that the dampers had =
never worked right - jeez-oh-petes - when depressing the sustain pedal, =
the bass dampers were an inch off the strings before the treble dampers =
lifted, and on most notes, the spoon engaged the damper lever right at =
the start of the key stroke - she also commented that the action was =
heavy. I know I didn't get it to concert-level accuracy, but the whole =
system ended up pretty darn functional and in the right ballpark. She =
gave it a try afterwards and remarked that it was now doing what it =
should.

My question is this: how does one go about bending damper-head wires on =
verticals without trashing the hammer-butt springs - not that I =
disturbed a single one of course - but I can see the potential to do =
that.   ;-)

Terry Farrell