Recoating sharps

MKurta mkurta@adelphia.net
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 07:54:27 -0500

    Hi Randy:
    Here's my recipe for recoating sharps.=20
    1. First, go over each one with 0000 steel wool.  This gets the =
grime off the keys especially the sides.  At this time you can also sand =
and/or fill any damage.
    2.  Wipe down the keys with mineral spirits to remove any foreign =
matter, dust or oil from some steel wools. =20
    3.  Lightly, I stress LIGHTLY spray the keys with satin black =
aerosol enamel.  Use a good quality paint and just fog the spray on from =
some distance away.  Don't try to cover the surfaces with a wet coat, as =
you may wind up with fish eyes, runs and drips.  You can recoat in 1/2 =
hour, but again very lightly.  Let dry completely and recoat the same =
way.  I made up a jig for holding the keys in position by driving =
roofing nails up through a piece of thin plywood.  I place the keys on =
each nail much the same way they would be held by the balance rail pins =
in the piano. =20
           Be sure to aim your spray at the sides and front of the keys, =
the tops will take care of themselves. =20
    4.  After both color coats are dry, spray again LIGHTLY with two =
coats of satin polyurethane.  There is a quick drying product that saves =
time drying between coats.  This creates a tough outer skin that wears =
well.  You can then either leave the finish as is or again, using 0000 =
steel wool, dull the reflectivity of the finished key to the level =
desired.   =20
          Hope this helps.
           Mike Kurta