Bechstein Pinblock

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 21:23:32 -0500

At 7:24 PM -0500 1/29/04, david thomson wrote:
>Thanks for the suggestions, Bill.  I've never heard of an over-arm
>router.  DO you
>have more info on that?

This is what one looks like.
http://www.amazon.com/o/dt/assoc/handle-buy-box=B0000E3HPA. As you
can see it's not a casual piece of machinery, more like the
Bridgeport miller for woodworking. Chris Robinson found one
second-hand about twenty years ago whose head was mounted on a
horizontal steel column, like a radial arm drill press. They're
capable of complex set-ups, big muscle when it comes to stock
removal, and extreme accuracy.

Back nearly thirty years ago, I had the local machine shop make me up
the band of sheet steel to wrap around the body of my 1/4" router,
with lugs welded to it to fit right into the yoke of my radial arm
saw, and exact swap of the saw motor for the router. That's the poor
man's version. Sometimes it's better to have the machine and the bit
on top where it's visible, instead of underneath, as in a router
table.

>But this step at the plate flange is what's
>troubling me.  It's not square, it's on an angle downward which is
>akward.  I get
>the Journal but I think the article you are refering to was back in
>'97 (?) which
>predates my subscription.

So are you talking about a portion of the top surface which inclines
24º from level, or the front face which itself is split into two
steps, like a Chickering Quarter grand block?

John Hartman is probably your best source of advice, although
undoubtedly there are others on the list who've done this style
block. I was just worried as to whether a hand held router might not
be up to the amounts of stock removal you might have ahead of you.

BTW, Barbara Richmond suggested to me that among your current shop
projects, might be wrapping up the work of the late David Moore. In
3/86, when I was just a few days shy of a pay point on a rebuilding,
and damaged my right eye, I was humbled by the number of fellow
Chapter members who stepped in to do shop work and local tuning for
me, to keep me going during the ten weeks I was out of commission.
Good on ya'.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"May you work on interesting pianos."