"I never break strings while tuning" - late submission

Fri, 30 Jan 2004 05:40:28 -0600

List,

At 13:28 1/29/2004 -0600, _I_ wrote:

>List friends and fiends,
>I have to say that I also NEVER break strings while tuning!!!

>As luck would have it,  _one_ string broke.  I did not break it.  It was
>that string's time to go. I merely assisted.

Well, we certainly have had a lot of fun on this, haven't we???!!!

My original intent was to point out what appears to me as a congenital
defect of tuners/technicians to swallow/eat/absorb repairs of things for
which they were not the cause.  Chief among these is the occasional broken
string.

I think that it is a safe bet that, if a bolt breaks while an auto mechanic
is taking off a valve cover on your vehicle, _YOU_ are going to pay for the
new/replacement one - plus installation.  NOT THE MECHANIC!

The bolt had a defect which was discovered when being removed.

How different, philosophically, is a string breaking whilst bringing it up
to pitch?

Conrad
Shadytree Piano Mechanic

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

- Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is
what you get from not reading it.