PitchLock couplers

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:12:07 +0000

Ok, I've got them on one piano already here at school, and will put them on
another today.

1st - old Lyon & Healy grand in a group piano lab.  Probably not the best
first candidate, the old strings didn't allow the clips to slide very
easily, the poor rendering and loose tuning pins made the tuning a little
difficult.  For you electronic tuning types out there, be prepared for a
pitch drop when you bring the second string in tune with the first.  Kindof
the 'Virgil effect', only bigger.

2nd  6' 1970's Baldwin in the choir room.  This one takes a beating and just
keeps going.  I have stability problems around D5, bridging the strut.

Since the goal of the couplers is to minimize the effect of unison smear, I
won't be able to report back on how well they work for a while...

Ron Koval
Chicagoland

Find high-speed ‘net deals — comparison-shop your local providers here.
https://broadband.msn.com