All day"noshows"/Attitudes

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 20:54:34 -0800

David,

On a first-time no-show, I rarely get upset about it (unless they just
made the appointment an hour ago!). As you say, there's always shop work
(or office work, or a book to read). I'll leave a message on their
voicemail. Sometimes they'll call with profuse apologies, others will
never call. It doesn't matter if you don't take it personally. I don't
bill for a nominal service call because I haven't warned them of this
charge ahead of time.

If it were important to me to nail every appointment (and leave the shop
work for the evening), then I would call clients the previous day to
remind, making sure that they have my telephone number in case there is
a last-minute emergency. Meaning, making sure that they have me written
down somewhere... like their calendar, for example.

Sometimes there are emergencies, though, and who is on their calendar is
the last thing on a person's mind.

Tom Cole