Deductibility

Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:37:17 -0800

I do see where you are coming from now.    I read the initial inquiry as
whether or not one could write the discount off of one's gross income
(monies actually received).  Your method is a different accounting method
than the one I use, but I think we agree that the bottom line is a wash.
>From a practical standpoint, most technicians keep track of income by
keeping a record of checks received and deposited with taxable portions
separated out when applicable.  The returns and allowances portion of my
return is generally blank as I just don't give refunds on tunings or
repairs.  Though I see the advantage of a more complete financial picture
if one is prone to giving discounts, I wanted to make the point that
individuals should not make the mistake of thinking they could write up
each sale as a 10% discount and think that they would save 10% on their
taxes.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

CPA).